My guest on this episode, Brian Miller, is an expert on the topic of Human Connection.
Up until a few years ago, Brian was a professional magician who spent 10 years travelling the world as a corporate and high-end events entertainer.
He is the author of the book “Three New People: Make the Most of Your Daily Interactions and Stop Missing Amazing Opportunities” and Brian just launched Season 3 of his fantastic podcast “Beyond Networking.”
I’m thrilled to share this episode with you. Brian touches on many ideas that are relevant to our work as artists and to our lives as humans. Connection is a really important theme for me, and it’s at the heart of everything I do. My reason for creating Studio Time was to provide a vehicle or a platform to connect you with your fellow artists and their ideas.
In this episode
- Brian explains what a successful career looks like for a magician
- We talk about the concept of getting your reps in as an artist
- How the art and science of Human Connection changed his life and career
- We discuss what you should think about the next time you hand someone your flyer or business card
- Brian introduces the idea of “perspective taking” and explains why magicians are so good at it
Links and show notes from this episode:
- TedX presentation: “How To Magically Talk to Anyone”
- Book: “Three New People: Make the Most of Your Daily Interactions and Stop Missing Amazing Opportunities”
- Podcast: “Beyond Networking”
- YouTube Channel
- Brian’s interview with Seth Godin “Where You Are and What You Do”
- Brian recommends you check out the incredible magician Nate Staniforth
- “Mindwise: How We Understand What Others Think, Believe, Feel, and Want” by Nicholas Epley
- “Talking To Strangers” by Malcolm Gladwell